Vision of mental health services in Malaysia is to create a society that has psychologically healthy and balanced diet which focuses on mental health promotion and prevention of psychological problems. It also aims to provide treatment and rehabilitation for those who are chronically disabled, providing appropriate and adequate facilities for the care of the customer to ensure optimum potential and opportunities for awareness and protected by family, community and country. National mental health policy is in line with the eight goals of the ministry of health : focus on health, focus on the individual, inform, care, services to be provided close to home. The launch of services tailored to the individual needs of efficient and effective services.
The objective is in line with the National Mental Health Policy to provide :
- Comprehensive, effective and efficient services, including outpatient, inpatient, community service, special services study of children and adolescents, the elderly, etc.
- Psychiatric services integrated in the mainstream of public health care and continuous service from health clinics to hospitals and vice versa.
- Promoting mental health services for the general population and specific target groups.
- The cooperation of various sectors and opportunities for community participation .
- Training for all levels of human resources.
- Monitoring standards by key performance indicators, Credentialing and special procedures such as ECT .
- Services that comply with the law, respect for human rights.
There are many sources that patients can have access to the psychiatric and mental health. Among them are:
- Private practitioners
- Other specialists
- Other mental health workers / NGOs.
Psychiatric and mental health services provide outpatient and inpatient services. Outpatient services are available at all levels of health care facilities . This may be provided in both the public and private health facilities in primary health care, hospitals, specialists, hospitals and psychiatric hospitals.
- prevention of certain diseases,
- Early intervention against disease
- Identify populations at risk
- Screening for at-risk populations
- The diagnosis is not certain from the Primary Health Clinic and Hospital non-specialists should be referred to a specialist Psychiatrist ( Clinic )
- Pharmacological treatments ( medications )
- Psychosocial treatment
- Patients who are undergoing treatment in hospitals and clinics but who did not respond to treatment should be referred to a psychiatrist.
- Patients who require specialized rehabilitation services should be referred to a psychiatrist or a psychiatric hospital.
- Training of allied health staffs
- Training of health professionals
Inpatient services are divided into different categories at the hospital ( ordinary hospitals, specialty hospitals and psychiatric hospitals ) . These services include :-
- Promotion / advocacy
- Encourage the patient to early discharge
- Optimize treatment
- Day-care centers / recovery
- Ensure continuous treatment
- Recovery psychosocial
- Managed by groups from various areas in collaboration with community
- Basic mental health services to the community
- CME and post- graduate psychiatric training