Vision of mental health services in Malaysia is to create a society that has psychologically healthy and balanced diet which focuses on mental health promotion and prevention of psychological problems . It also aims to provide treatment and rehabilitation for those who are chronically disabled , providing appropriate and adequate facilities for the care of the customer to ensure optimum potential and opportunities for awareness and protected by family , community and country . National mental health policy is in line with the eight goals of the ministry of health : focus on health , focus on the individual , inform, care, services to be provided close to home . The launch of services tailored to the individual needs of efficient and effective services .
The objective is in line with the National Mental Health Policy to provide :
- Comprehensive , effective and efficient services , including outpatient , inpatient, community service , special services study of children and adolescents, the elderly , etc.
- Psychiatric services integrated in the mainstream of public health care and continuous service from health clinics to hospitals and vice versa.
- Promoting mental health services for the general population and specific target groups.
- The cooperation of various sectors and opportunities for community participation .
- Training for all levels of human resources.
- Monitoring standards by key performance indicators, Credentialing and special procedures such as ECT .
- Services that comply with the law , respect for human rights.
There are many sources that patients can have access to the psychiatric and mental health. Among them are:
- Private practitioners
- Other specialists
- Other mental health workers / NGOs.
Psychiatric and mental health services provide outpatient and inpatient services. Outpatient services are available at all levels of health care facilities . This may be provided in both the public and private health facilities in primary health care, hospitals, specialists, hospitals and psychiatric hospitals.
- prevention of certain diseases,
- Early intervention against disease
- Identify populations at risk
- Screening for at-risk populations
- The diagnosis is not certain from the Primary Health Clinic and Hospital non-specialists should be referred to a specialist Psychiatrist ( Clinic )
- Pharmacological treatments ( medications )
- Psychosocial treatment
- Patients who are undergoing treatment in hospitals and clinics but who did not respond to treatment should be referred to a psychiatrist.
- Patients who require specialized rehabilitation services should be referred to a psychiatrist or a psychiatric hospital.
- Training of allied health staffs
- Training of health professionals
Inpatient services are divided into different categories at the hospital ( ordinary hospitals, specialty hospitals and psychiatric hospitals ) . These services include :-
- Promotion / advocacy
- Encourage the patient to early discharge
- Optimize treatment
- Day-care centers / recovery
- Ensure continuous treatment
- Recovery psychosocial
- Managed by groups from various areas in collaboration with community
- Basic mental health services to the community
- CME and post- graduate psychiatric training